Personal Assistant – 4x Care Calls Daily (Double up)
Location: Cambridge (CB1)
Rate of Pay: £10 per hour
Hours Per Week: 70 hours shared between a team of 5 carers
This job role is for 4x double up care calls for a 53-year-old male who has Motor Neurone Disease (MND) requiring complex care to maintain a good quality of life. My father lives in his family home with one of his daughters, with his second daughter living abroad but visiting regularly. You will be part of a small team working on a 2:1 basis in order to meet my fathers complex needs. There will be two carers on duty together at all care calls. The rota is to be confirmed but will be discussed further at interview stage.
My father requires support with all aspects of his care including:
- Oral care
- Feeding both orally and via PEG feed (in which training can be provided)
- Respiratory care (he wears a NIPPY ventilator 24 hrs a day – training can be provided in use of this. He also has a cough assist which he requires the occasional use of).
- Skin care
- Administering medication
- Physiotherapy exercises.
My father is completely immobile, so experience caring for someone with complete paralysis is desirable. He uses a full body sling and there is a ceiling track hoist in place in both the bedroom and bathroom. My father also has an eye-gaze machine which he uses, so this will need to be set up for him to use during the day while he is alone.
You will be required to accompany my father to hospital appointments or social outings. These additional hours will be paid accordingly. There will be the requirement for light domestic tasks to be carried out during visits such as washing up cutlery and crockery used during the care visit, cleaning the bathroom after use, keeping my father’s bedroom clean and tidy, and cleaning any mess made in the kitchen as a result of food and/or drink being made.
The current hours are:
- 8:30am – 10:30am
- 13:00pm – 14:00pm
- 17:00pm – 18:00pm
- 21:00pm – 22:00pm
These hours are subject to be increased as my fathers condition develops further, so you must be flexible. Individual hours will be discussed at interview.
- You must be flexible, time efficient, friendly, competent, trustworthy, enthusiastic, caring, and committed to providing a high level of care.
- Experience working in care is essential – but training can be provided for his complex care needs. You must be keen to learn and be adaptable to change.
- Timeliness is essential – if you are going to be late you must give notice as soon as possible, but it is desirable that lateness does not occur.
- You will build up a rapport with my father, treating him as more than just a client.
- Applications from both Male and Female applicants will be considered. This advert complies with the Sex Discrimination Act (1975) Section 7 (2b).
- You must be a non-smoker due to the equipment used by my father, and his compromised lung function.
- You should treat our home as if it were your own, respecting any personal belongings and equipment.
- You will be required to wear the correct PPE in line with current guidance which will be provided to you.
- If you have any concerns or issues, please speak to myself or my father directly and we will be happy to resolve them with you.
- Any offers are subject to a DBS check, receipt of two references and checking the legal right to live and work in the UK.
- Experience working in care
- Understanding of Motor Neurone Disease
- Willingness to learn
- Experience caring for someone with complete paralysis
- Experience caring for a PEG stoma
- Experience assisting with respiratory care
Please apply via Indeed with your CV and cover letter attached. If you are successful, we will contact you by telephone first to discuss the position before arranging an interview.
CLOSING DATE: 9th October 2020 at midday