PA Bite-Size Information

Skip to content

Your employer should provide you with an employment contract. An employment contract is important because it’s an agreement between you and your employer, and sets out your employment conditions, rights, responsibilities, duties and things like holidays, notice period, how to deal with a grievance, disciplinary procedures and sick pay. If your employer doesn’t provide you with a contract, you should ask them for one.

PA’s are entitled to:

PA’s should not work more than 48 hours each week, however, if you are required to work more than 48 hours per week, you would need to sign a disclaimer stating that they are happy to work more than this in extreme circumstances but working more than 48 hours each week should not be the ‘norm’.

It is up to your employer to decide how much your pay will be, and Purple can support your employer in making this decision, using a wage calculator to ensure the employer budgets accordingly to allow for other associated costs.

Your employer may decide on an initial rate of pay and increase the rate on successful completion of a probationary period.

Any Employee who is unable to work four or more days in a row (including non-working days) due to physical or mental illness or disablement, and have told the employer that they are sick within the terms of their contract, may be entitled to SSP.

From April 2021, you must be earning an average of £120.00 per week before tax to be eligible for SSP.  If you are eligible for SSP, this is £95.85 a week, for up to 28 weeks.

Linked periods of sickness -

If you have regular periods of sickness, they may count as ‘linked’.  An employee is no longer eligible for SSP if they have a continuous series of linked periods that lasts more than 3 years.

To be linked, the periods must:

You are legally entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks of annual leave per year pro-rata (this is inclusive of Bank Holidays).  If you work part-time or flexible hours, it may be easier to calculate your holiday allowance in hours.  For example, if you work 10 hours per week, you are entitled to 56 hours of annual leave in total (including the Bank Holidays).  If your employer uses Payment Services from Purple, their Payment Services Account Manager can support the employer with working your holiday entitlement out.

PAs should be advised at the start of their employment that they need to take their annual leave, or they will lose it at the end of the leave year. For help with working out holiday entitlement, please use the government's calculation tool.

If you have been employed for at least 26 weeks and become pregnant, it is likely that you will be entitled to maternity pay.  In order to receive maternity pay, you will need to provide your employer with a MATB1 form.

Employees can take up to 52 weeks for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP), however only 39 weeks are payable.  For the first six weeks, it is paid at 90 percent of the average weekly earnings.  The following 33 weeks will be paid at the SMP rate or 90 per cent of the average weekly earnings, whichever is the lower.  Please click to see the current SMP rate

Employees will normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if they have been working for an employer for two years or more.

Employees will receive:

Length of service is capped at 20 years

Please visit to see the current weekly capped and maximum total amount of statutory redundancy pay.

By law all Employers must provide a Pension Scheme for their Employees. There are specific rules for different types of workers but if your Employee is over 22 and earns above £10,000 each year you will need to have a Pension Scheme and make contributions towards your Employee’s pension. Employees can opt-out, but this must be in writing. Employees earning less than this amount have a right to join a scheme if they request it. You can get further information on pensions and your obligations from the Pension Regulator’s website:

If you are self-employed, the HMRC advise that employment status is established by the particular terms and conditions under which a person works.

Use this link to find out if you should be classed as employed or self-employed PA for tax purposes -

If you meet the status of a self-employed PA and are registered with the HMRC, the person you are providing support to is NOT your Employer therefore you are contracted to provide a service.  It is your responsibility to:

A DBS is the Disclosure and Barring Service which helps employers make safer recruitment decisions. There is a barred list for both adults' and children's and makes considered decisions as to whether an individual should be included on one or both lists and barred from engaging in regulated activity.

It is crucial to have a DBS when working with vulnerable adults and is mandatory when working with children.

Purple can support you with the DBS process and so please speak to your employer.

Being a personal assistant may mean you work alone with your employer, which is often referred to as ‘lone working’. It’s important to be aware of your safety and that of your employer.
It’s advisable for your employer (or someone supporting them) to carry out a lone working risk assessment to identify any risks and ensure that actions are put in place to minimise/mitigate these risks. You should make sure that somebody knows when and where you’re working at all times, and that you have an emergency contact.

Because your employer’s home will be your place of work, it’s their responsibility to ensure you have a safe place to work, and they may carry out a risk assessment. You should speak with your employer about any risks or hazards that you’ve noticed. It’s also your responsibility to make your employer aware of anything that may impact your health and safety, for example, pregnancy in a job that requires heavy lifting. Your employer should keep a record of your discussion, especially in relation to risks and hazards. It’s good to keep an accident/incident book so that anything out of the ordinary can be noted down.