Become a Purple Member
Read about our Purple Membership
Join us today from as little at £500 per year.
Become a Purple Partner
Read more about Purple Partnership
Join us from as little as £5,000 per year.
With a track record in supporting organisations on their disability inclusion journey, Purple believes that disability is a real opportunity to add value to business and wider society. Our vision is to enable organisations to blend kindness and commerciality as the mechanism to make disability inclusion the norm.
We are a disabled user-led organisation that does not engage solely with disability champions, organisational leadership or at a government level. We work with you to bring disabled people and the organisation together.
We provide organisations with impartial scrutiny on their disability practices and we are not simply about process but about developing people so that organisations can ﬂourish when addressing disability.
Why disability is important to business
• The spending power of disabled people and their household worldwide is currently estimated to be worth $3 trillion, increasing by 14% per annum. Only 10% of businesses have a targeted strategy for this huge market.
• There are 2 billion disabled people in the world that represents 37.5% of world’s population
• Nearly 1 in 5 working adults have a disability.
• 75% of disabled people and their families have walked away from a business because of poor accessibility or customer service.
• 31% of the UK workforce have been formally diagnosed with a mental health issue. Yet only 13% of staff felt able to disclose a mental health issue to their workplace.
• 80% of disabled people have hidden impairments.
• In 2016, a survey found that more than 4 million people in the UK abandoned a retail website because of the barriers they found, taking with them an estimated spend of £11.75 billion. In 2019, that lost business, the ‘Click-Away Pound’, has grown to £17.1 billion.
Working with Purple can:
• Support your organisation’s approach to current and future disabled staff and approach to disabled consumers
• Help develop and grow disability leadership across your organisation
• Support you to gather the evidence to inform your wider responsible business programme
• Can provide evidence to demonstrate your organisation’s good practices and how you meet legislative and reporting requirements.
Our work provides:
• Rigorous assessments using recognised standards e.g. BS76005: 2017- Valuing People through Diversity and Inclusion
• Supporting evidence to your organisation’s Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) disclosures
• Support and inform your organisation’s Employee Resource Group (ERG) activities
• Evidence to addresses 7 of the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)
What our clients say
Amanda Campbell, Director of Corporate Affairs and Sustainability at Intu Properties
“Having been involved with Purple since the ‘Help me spend my money’ campaign launched in 2017, we really valued being able to work with a trusted partner as part of our efforts to achieve the Disability Confident standard. Having their expert, and supportive, view on our work around disability made a real difference. Purple encouraged us to increase our aspirations and supported us in going beyond our original goal of achieving Disability Confident Employer (level 2) and instead reaching for the Disability Confident Leader standard (level 3). Gaining the Disability Confident Leader status enables us not just to demonstrate our commitment to our employees, and potential new employees, with disabilities and long-term conditions but also to cement our commitment to continuous improvement as part of Intu’s goal of being the accessible destination of choice.”
Barry Hoffman, Group Human Resources Director at Landsec
“Our work with Purple has helped us understand where we most need to challenge ourselves to do more on disability inclusion, as a service provider and an employer too. A diverse mix of people brings diversity of thought and makes us a stronger and more sustainable business; one that truly reflects the society we serve. We’re confident that with the ongoing support of Purple we can make the changes needed to deliver a truly inclusive experience for our customers, employees and communities.”
James Bishop, Managing Director at Skye Cloud
“We initially engaged with Purple as we were trying to piece together our CSR strategy, however after further conversations with Mike and the team, it became apparent that the potential was huge. Changing my own mind-set made me realise that as a service provider we have an obligation, not just to our own employees, but to our customers and their staff to ensure we as a business are as accessible as we possibly can be. By working with Purple, we subsequently adapted our premises, hosted services and call centre to achieve our Level 1 Disability Confidence certification and the impact has been amazing. Employee buy-in has been incredible as has the uptake of new clients in the non-profit sector who work with and support varying causes within the disabled community. Our partnership with Purple continues to go from strength to strength and I’d recommend it to any responsible business.”