DBS Checking Service
Purple offers a fast, flexible and affordable Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), previously known as CRB.
As a registered umbrella body, we apply for thousands of DBS checks each year both in bulk for organisations and single applications for individuals. We provide you with the fast turnaround and comprehensive support you expect from an experienced provider. Our service includes:
- Checking and processing your application(s)
- Tracking progress for you
- Providing you with general advice and guidance
- Dispute handling
What is a DBS Check?
A DBS check is a vital part of a wider safeguarding process. It helps individuals and organisations determine whether a person is a suitable candidate by providing information about an applicant’s criminal history. DBS checks are required for both employees and volunteers.
Purple can help you obtain either of the two types of DBS checks:
- Standard checks reveal information relating to spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings from the Police National Computer.
- Enhanced checks reveal the same information as standard checks but also check against information held by local police forces (for instance, relevant ongoing investigations). When specified, an enhanced check can also be used to check against lists of people prohibited from working with children and vulnerable adults. These are known as barred lists.
Who Needs a DBS Check?
Employees and volunteers who work with both adults and children may need a DBS check. However, for checks on volunteers, you do not need to pay the DBS fee, only the Purple administration fee. For information on which activities require a worker to have a DBS check, view the Government’s eligibility guide (opens in new window).
How much does it cost?
There are two parts to the cost of obtaining a DBS check via Purple – the first is the fee charged by the DBS and the second an administration fee charged by Purple to cover our costs.
Please note: if you are self-employed you cannot directly apply for a check with us.
Fill out the form below to contact us for more information on prices or to discuss how Purple can help you with your DBS application needs.