With a track record in supporting organisations on their disability inclusion journey, Purple believes that disability is a real opportunity to add value to business and wider society. Our vision is to enable organisations to blend kindness and commerciality as the mechanism to make disability inclusion the norm.
We are a disabled user-led organisation that does not engage solely with disability champions, organisational leadership or at a government level. We work with you to bring disabled people and the organisation together.
We provide organisations with impartial scrutiny on their disability practices and we are not simply about process but about developing people so that organisations can ﬂourish when addressing disability.
Why disability is important to business
• The spending power of disabled people and their household worldwide is currently estimated to be worth $8 trillion, increasing by 14% per annum. Only 10% of businesses have a targeted strategy for this huge market.
• There are 2 billion disabled people in the world that represents 37.5% of world’s population
• Nearly 1 in 5 working adults have a disability.
• 75% of disabled people and their families have walked away from a business because of poor accessibility or customer service.
• 31% of the UK workforce have been formally diagnosed with a mental health issue. Yet only 13% of staff felt able to disclose a mental health issue to their workplace.
• 80% of disabled people have hidden impairments.
• In 2016, a survey found that more than 4 million people in the UK abandoned a retail website because of the barriers they found, taking with them an estimated spend of £11.75 billion. In 2019, that lost business, the ‘Click-Away Pound’, has grown to £17.1 billion.
Working with Purple can:
• Support your organisation’s approach to current and future disabled staff and approach to disabled consumers
• Help develop and grow disability leadership across your organisation
• Support you to gather the evidence to inform your wider responsible business programme
• Can provide evidence to demonstrate your organisation’s good practices and how you meet legislative and reporting requirements.
Our work provides:
• Rigorous assessments using recognised standards e.g. BS76005: 2017- Valuing People through Diversity and Inclusion
• Supporting evidence to your organisation’s Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) disclosures
• Support and inform your organisation’s Employee Resource Group (ERG) activities
• Evidence to addresses 7 of the UN’s 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)